Do you recall whilst your mom didn’t have time to braid your whole head, so she’d whip
in some fluffy twists as an alternative? Every now and then she’d make 2 big, bouncy, pony-tailed ones, or during different instances, a group of springy, spongy twists wrapped in different colored rubber bands. Not twist braids, but close enough!
Those are the predecessors to the famous twisted patterns you notice today on the heads of ladies of every age with all kinds of textured hair; kinky Afro twists, curly twists, quick twists, long twists, natural twists, and prolonged twists.
Authenticity That Comes From Senegal
Senegalese twists had been the authentic double-stranded twists created with the aid of people who braided hair from Senegal. Extending the hair with Lin fiber or human or artificial hair creates long-lasting twisted patterns.
Twist Braids Come in Different Sizes
There are numerous sizes you may mess around with while developing your twists;
small, medium, and big. Both small and medium-sized double-stranded twists can
be worn as a twisted style and last as long as 3 weeks if they are not released the day when they are set, for a fuller look that may last up to 10 days. 2 inches of your natural hair is sufficient to curve a complete head of hair.
Twists also can be used efficiently as a technique to lock both wavy and curly hair. Larger twists are typically used as a natural hair set and then released immediately. Twists also can be rodded for a curly effect or roller set for a fuller free curl. Twisted straight hair will be remaining intact for approximately 7 to 10 days.
Permanent Locking in Case of Twist Braids
Leaving your twists in for a period of time that is too long, such as beyond 4 weeks, can also result in the starting stages of permanent locking. The hair will evidently permanently lock if it is left by itself without combing.
1. Thick twist braids in an updo
The “Twist Out” turned into the first natural coiffure that appeared in the Essence mag. This way of styling hair became so famous when it had first appeared! It was created with very small, double-strand twists that were blow-dried for 20 minutes, then untwisted after the hair turned fully dry. This whole process ensured that the wave pattern would have a beautiful S-form curl that left all the frizz out. Next, the hair was lifted in an upward direction with a tortoiseshell comb in order to obtain extra fullness.
2. Very long and thin hair twists
3. Cornrows developing in large twists
4. A messy updo with braids
5. Rebellious hairs arranged by twisting
6. Full head of thin braids
How you obtain the Twist Out?
In order to obtain the Twist Out, you will need some equipment, such as a wide-tooth comb made of wood, a fantail type of comb, butterfly clips, hair clips, a spray bottle and a blow-dryer with a diffuser.
The hair must the shampooed and conditioned with the best products that you know work for your hair. Next, you should apply some sort of hair honey on the length of your hair, over the whole head.
Part the hair into 4 sections: top crown, both sides of the head from the back of the ear to the front of the hairline, and the entire back segment. This method of parting hair allows you to move freely and fast whilst parting a man or a woman’s hair sections. Use some butterfly clips to hold in the hair segments.
You should begin with the back segment and create a horizontal part from right to left. Use a clip to split the bigger part of hair from the parted segment. Next, apply a dab of pomade or paste to each segment as you continue.
Moving on, you need to segment off one inch for each part as you vertically divide the hair. Take the one-inch segment and break up the hair into extra sections. As you are retaining every segment in both palms, move one segment of hair over the alternative segment to create a double-strand twist. Then place a silver or plastic clip on the twist for further manipulation.
The process must continue like this till you reach the crown of the head. The crown segment is wherein you decide the direction of your hair, whether or not you want your hair to fall over your head or to nicely frame your face.
Blow-dry with a diffuser or sit underneath a hooded dryer for 20 minutes. After the hair is not wet anymore, untwist every strand of hair one after the other. Take every individual twist and separate into two twists.
7. Long braids with extensions
Although it is not impossible, one can simply not have such long hair after the twisting process. This gorgeous lady has definitely some extensions locked in.
8. Thick strands with curled tips
9. Hair tips curled naturally
10. Thick twists for medium-long hair
Hold in mind that the right maintenance assures an extended-lasting fashion. So tie your hair during nighttime with a silk or satin headband or maybe a bonnet. Also, make certain you put on a bathing cap when you take a bath and apply a herbal oil or gloss to the hair daily or when you have to for moisture and sheen.
11. Locks freed after the twisting process
12. Simple hairstyle obtained with braids and an elastic band
13. Long braids locked on the side
14. An updo featuring twisted hairs
15. Voluminous curls waved in style
16. Textured hair in two colors
17. Medium-long and thick braids
18. Blonde and brunette twisted braids
19. Twist bangs are also a thing
Who says you can’t sport bangs just because your hair is braided?
20. Sensational updo and length
21.Amazing hairstyle with thin braids
22. Sun-kissed locks tamed
Twisty Coils and Coils in General
Coils provide a fashionable, but conservative approach over sporting very curly and tightly textured hair, especially after growing out a chemical or a short haircut. Even so, they constitute a dedicated and perhaps even an everlasting manner of existing in style.
The coils can be traced back to Egyptians, who were using their palms to twist hair and thus lock it at a certain level. Just by playing with your hair strands around your fingers you can obtain nice locks. Of course, that is if you are a patient person.
23. Keeping hair neat above the shoulders
24. A hairstyle suited for any style
25. Braids that flatter round faces
26. Blonde twists and black roots
27. Cute girl’s big twist hairdo
28. Add a bow to be extra chic
29. Add a big smile to look even better
30. Shiny, long and thin hair-twisting
31. Free locks swept on a side
32. A way of parting the hair
33. Layered twists on brown hair
How to Obtain Twisty Coils?
In order to obtain twisty coils, you will need a few items, such as a comb, hair clips, hooded dryer or a blow-dryer with a diffuser.
Before you proceed, it is recommended to use a shampoo and a conditioner, as well as a special oil for your hair type. You may add more oil along the way, if you feel it is necessary for this styling technique to work best. For example, lavender oil is ideal in this situation.
Starting at the nape of the neck, part one inch horizontal rows and one inch vertical parting. Then, use the comb to create a coil. The natural movement is towards the top.
You may additionally use the hand coiling technique instead of the comb technique by using your index finger and thumb instead of any tools. Choose the hair strands and separate them in sections and then twirl them round between your pals in order to create coils.
Clip the coils down with hair clips as you make progress, till you reach the head’s crown vicinity. Use the same, identical method on the left side of your head and on the right side as well. As you approach the forehead, clip the coils to the side.
After you are all done with all hair, it is advised to sit under a hooded dryer for half an hour. After your hair is no longer wet at all, your coils should lie flat and look very neat.
What you must do next, is to separate each coil in 2 parts, thus creating a fuller effect that looks like a spiral. Now you should have the wanted twisty coils that you desired!
34. Volume that turns heads
35. Incredible detail in a hairstyle
36. Straight hair can be twisted too
37. The type of volume some women only dream of
38. Neat side-sweeping for behaved curls
39. Half-twisted, half-down
50. A hairstyle that needs commitment
51. Rich natural hair goes shiny
52. Textured hair at its best
53. Hair parting is not mandatory
54. Braids let partially loose
55. Hair that stays on point
56. Don’t let the shine go
57. Heavy updo for an artist
58. Coils twisted in a tight way
59. Combed hair twisted in a large ponytail
60. Twirls so perfect they seem fake
61. Braids arranged up and down
62. Upbraided hair no longer locked
63. A hairstyle for little girls
64. A high ponytail wore on a side
65. A style that never goes old
66. A choice that could be permanent
67. Twists and locks in one
68. Sophisticated if necessary
69. A ponytail locked with braids
70. More volume from twisting
All that twisting keeps the natural oils away from the tips, so it is recommended to use hair oils and apply them daily or whenever needed. The dry, frizzy effect is not attractive at all.
71. Bright blue coloring is an option
72. Layered braids like normal hair
73. Not the standard hair parting
74. Twisty braids with color in them
75. Small twisting gone rogue
76. A mohawk out of braiding
77. Add different colored extensions
78. Huge bun for big hair
79. Braids can be amazingly shaped
80. Curly tips colored in blonde
81. The simplest hair twist of all
82. Flawless twist braids are real
83. Elegance and femininity with locks
84. Not a single bad hair day
85. Top bun and a piercing look
86. Braids look good on every body type
87. Highlight the best part of your face
88. Twist braids colored in red
Watch out for permanent locking
Depending on the exact texture of your hair, you should expect the permanent locking to begin as soon as after 4 weeks since they were first done. For most of people, this process becomes more noticeable after 4 months. If 8 to 12 months have passed, then it will be impossible to undo this hairstyle.
Every type of hair will sooner or later lock in permanently, so if you don’t want to use the scissors and have really short hair, then you should try to maintain this hairstyle every now and then.
89. Thick braids with red accents
90. Unconventional colors go too
91. Dark red in one high bun
92. Shorter twist braids in red
93. The perfect length-volume ratio
94. Blue hue added for diversity
95. Coquette with twist braids
96. Braids as thick as hairs
97. Get the romantic look
98. Low ponytail directed on a side
99. A kid happy with her hair
100. Glamorous and almost effortless
101. Twisting the twists again
102. Kinky hair combined with extensions
103. Accessories for braids do exist
104. Achieving perfection with hair
105. Too much hair to handle
106. Some maintenance is required
107. Waist-long twists are a thing
108. Anyone can get braids like these
109. The secret is in the details
110. Perfectionism reflected in a hairstyle
111. Spectacular updo made of more twists
112. Braids and a side-bun
113. A heavy adornment of the head
114. Very tight hair roots
115. Braids freed into a wild look
116. A casual looking hairstyle
117. An option for both young and old
The entire family can opt for coils, twists or locks, depending on occasion, time of the year or simply mood. After all, nowadays it is a simple hairstyle that is no longer connected to spirituality. Or, even if it is, only a few people still look at it that way.
118. When the natural volume is too much
119. Hair to pretty to be serious
120. A smile as pretty as the hair
121. Highlights among twist braids
122. An example of how to part the hair at front
123. Locks freed after the braiding process
124. Short locks freed too
125. Textured and layered hair let loose
126. Baby hairs locked in
127. A mixture of red and black128. Think the parting aspect twice
129. An attempt to style a mohawk
130. Mohawk hairstyle made of thin and thick braids
131. Closeup picture of medium-sized twists
132. High bun and middle parting
133. Brighten your hairdo with color
134. No more wasted time on styling
Having textured hair and not styling it just because it is a fashionable thing to do means freedom. The way twist braids saves so many women so much time that they could use in other purposes is not the only advantage. Moreover, although you’ve only seen women sporting braids in this article, this hairstyle is suited for men too, for children as well; it basically has no age limitation.
135. Oval face go well with medium-sized braids
136. Bangs locked in with other braids
137. A surreal hairstyle that can be done
138. Healthy hairstyle for a happy teen
Teens usually want to experiment with hair, so educate your teen kid to try braids and twists, rather than chemicals or difficult hairstyles that don’t match their hair type.
139. Alternative styles combined with old techniques
Dying textured hair is not a healthy choice, but you can’t deny the power of a bright color. This chick is definitely turning heads and feeling amazing in her own skin due to her original hair.
140. Confidence in a good-looking hairdo
141. Pump up that volume
142. Shiny, accessorized twist braids
143. Practice on a mannequin
144. Try it on yourself too
145. Best hair and makeup
146. Braided hair from top to tips
147. Tight roots flowing into loose ends
148. Kinky hair that needs no taming
149. Braids as short as two inches
150. Going from thick to thin in one hairstyle
151. Double buns on top
152. Classic high bun done with braids
153. Complex high bun on one side
154. Highlights added where necessary
155. Colored textured hair undone
156. Less time spent on styling hair
157. Dark hair arranged in a bun and a ponytail
158. More braids than someone’s hairs
159. Volume type suited for oval faces
160. Delighted to see beautifully twisted braids
Are you ready for twist braids?
Now that you know the basics, you should be able to know if you are ready to try twist braids or not. Or, in case you were only looking for inspiration and a new pattern, you should know by now which one appeals to you the most.
For those of you who didn’t have twist braids until now, you must know that your hair length must be of at least 2 inches. Some hairstylists will agree to style a one inch long hair, but those are rare. So, keep that in mind before making in appointment!
If you know more about this hairstyle and you’d like to share that information, do not hesitate to leave a comment or even pictures as examples!