You are standing in front of the mirror with a hairbrush when you suddenly realized that you may need a makeover. A new hairstyle that is. What do you have in mind? Perhaps you want to chop off your hair, or get something that’s classic, but with a modern touch. If that’s the case, it is not impossible, especially when you have medium or long hair. One of the most infamous hairstyles that’s making huge waves this year is the crimped hair. So, if you are thinking about a new hairstyle, we have rounded up hundreds of crimped hair ideas that you may want to consider.
Being popular in the 80s and 90s, the crimped hair gives a fiery fashion statement to a lot of women who are up for a more gorgeous hairstyle. This hairstyle was huge back then, but these days, it has been an enormous thing among women in all walks of life.
Models, celebrities, and fashion icons have enjoyed sporting the hairstyle and fans are definitely living for it. Chic and sexy, crimped hair makes your locks appear thicker and edgier. It’s voluminous that makes it fuller, especially on those who have longer hair.
Fierce and daring, its creativity and style won’t fade over time. Although many people would expect that it is not making a comeback, crimped hair remains indisputably famous to this date.
The hairstyle has even been ubiquitously showing up anywhere, including the runway being worn by ramp models. Supermodel Tyra Banks has been spotted a few times sporting her ever-gorgeous crimped hair.
It’s now making yet another big break this year and into the spotlight, we are going to take you back. Would you love to try this?
The beauty of crimped hair
Just when you thought that the 80s and 90s popular hairstyle isn’t paving its way back to the limelight, here you are checking crimped hair ideas. Our favorite celebrities like Anna Kendrick, Britney Spears, Ariana Grande, Kylie Jenner, Bella Thorne proudly donned the hairstyle too.
Reaching a fever pitch back in the 80s, crimped hair – the good ‘ole hairstyle is now challenging all women to try it again. Its versatility is crystal clear and the beauty it brings is incontestable.
Kids, teens, ladies, and even the older ones are absolutely a match to crimped hair. Its aesthetic offers over the top fashion even with a street-style touch or a classic ambiance. Any hair color would match this hairstyle. May it be rose gold hair, black hairstyles, or any hues that perfectly fit with this elegant hairstyle.
Hair crimping is usually done on long and straight hair using a tool that would make it wavy or in a zig-zag way. In some cultures, it is also referred to as deep waves, giving it chicer and bolder vibes.
There are many hairstyles that the crimped hair can pair with and that’s what we are going to show you on this page. You will also find some tips on how to maintain it and the best hair products for the hairstyle.
So, if you are considering the crimped hair, check these incredibly beautiful photos below.
Gorgeous crimped hair ideas
The 80s and early 90s crimped hair trend is back, making your modern looks edgier and sexier. Some say that bouncy waves are the new crimps, while others stick to the retro crimps in a layered hairstyle. It’s best to draw inspirations from the hairstyles from the past to add some flair to their looks, or simply give you a style revamp.
If you wish to add some spin to your daily looks, keep on reading for the cool ways to rock the crimped hair trend, along with our top tips to get the look.
- Lilac goddess hair
- Multi-toned updo
- Unicorn crown
- Mermaid style
- Black textured Dutch braid
- Half-up French braid
- Textured cool-toned
- Strawberry textured crown hair
- Crimped with braided layers
- Mini-crimped fishtail braids updo
- Textured crimped fishtail crown
- Blonde bubble braid
- Colorful and vibrant crimped bob
- Tousled textured lob
- Ash-blonde micro crimped tucked braid with highlights
- Crimped braids and ponytail
- Black and brown crimped formal updo
- Classic crimped hair with a middle part
- Pigtail crimped braids with a blue undertone
- Icy cool pixie
- Green knotted Dutch braid
- Platinum-blonde five-strand braid
- Pink curly partial updo
- Modern zig-zag top knot ‘do
- Caramel-brown sharp crimps
- Long crimps with blunt bangs
- Voluminous brunette hair with a green undertone
- Loose braids with side crimps
- Structured back-combed hair
- Pastel lavender locks and crimped ends
- Disheveled crimped blonde ponytail with dark roots
- Sleeked crimps in formal half-up
- Shoulder-length crimped hair with blonde highlights
- Mermaid + Unicorn style
- Face-framing classic crimps
- Sassy hair crimps with side fringes
- Romantic crimped hair updo
- California waves-inspired crimps
- Sunkissed crimped hair
- Loose crimped French braid
- Simple strawberry twisted crimps
- Ancient Rome-inspired crimped hair
- Corkscrew crimped hair
- Ponytail and Dutch braid combo
- French braid in a ponytail
- Modern + Medieval crimps
- Quirky pink crimped hair with side bangs
How to crimp hair in any length
Crimp hair was specially styled for medium or long hair, but women with short hair have taken the plunge too. The hairstyle can be done using a crimping iron. It’s an easy DIY, but you also need to ensure that you know the tricks on how to achieve the look.
To help you achieve this hairstyle with ease, you can follow these tips on how to crimp your hair.
- Shampoo and condition your hair. Dry it thoroughly.
- For women with curly hair, you will need to flat iron it. For those who have wavy hair, you can use a round brush to blow dry it.
- Don’t forget to apply a heat protectant spray on your hair. There are products that we will also show you later on this page.
- Make a division in your hair with about 2 – 3 inches each section.
- Choose which strands you would like to crimp using the flat iron.
- Start crimping the strands from roots to tips for about 3 – 5 seconds. Do not leave it on your hair more than that to avoid breakage.
- Style your hair with anything you like. You can refer to this collection of which style you would want for your crimped hair.
Tips and trick for crimping your hair
As popular as any hairstyles, crimped hair offers a wide variety of hairstyles that all women love to try. No matter your hair color, type, or texture, you can still sport the crimped hair in style. With these crimped hair ideas, you would want to try this hairstyle. So, crimping your hair would be a whole lot easier with these tips and tricks that you may need to keep in mind.
- For those who have a lot of hair or those with thick hair, begin crimping at the bottom and just clip the rest of your hair at the top.
- If you want to crimp your entire hair, use a wide-teethed comb to gently brush your hair before crimping.
- For more natural deep waves, you can just crimp the upper part of your hair and leave the lower untouched.
- If you have fine hair, you can crimp your hair the bottom layers close to your roots to give your hair more volume and make it appear thicker.
- To achieve the infamous freestyle look, comb your strands to the back and crimp it in different directions.
- If you want to curl your hair after crimping it, you can wrap your strands freely just around the big clipless curling iron.
- For shinier and more defined crimped locks, apply a steam crimper or hair wax.
- For crimping and bending your locks from to bottom, use a flat iron starting from your roots.
- If you are avoiding heat tools, but you still want to get a crimped hairstyle, you can use pins overnight. Just expect that there will be a slight difference from the crimp that the iron creates.
- For hair extensions, you should look after the crimper temperature.
Best hair tools for crimping your hair
If these crimped hair ideas have piqued your interest, you may want to start looking for hair crimping tools. There are many options available in stores, but for your convenience, we gathered a few hair crimpers that you can try.
These crimpers will give you the crimped look that you have been dying for. You may check these out in stores or online retailers.
- Conair Infinity Pro Hair Crimping Iron. This tool offers visible and very defined tiny waves. It’s a ceramic hair crimper that protects your hair from frizziness and dullness. Its micro crimping plates will give you stunning and volumized roots.
- Diva Beach Waver with a triple barrel curling iron. If you want more beachy waves, you can get this ceramic crimper with three barrels. It is infused with argan oil to give you a shinier and silkier look.
- Glampalm Zigzag Styling Iron. This gives you the newest trend for crimped hair called geometric zigzag waves. This avant-garde look has been making rounds online that is perfect for women with advanced taste in fashion.
- Tony & Guy Twist and Crimp Styling Tool. If you want to get your entire hair crimped you can use the styling tool that won’t take too much of your time. You can simply clamp the barrels on your strand, rotate by twisting the dial to achieve the crimped hairstyle in just a matter of seconds.
Crimped hair is something that you wouldn’t want to miss this summer. So, these tools would definitely help you in this undertaking.
With that being said, check more of the tools that you can use in crimping your hair.
- Drybar Big Crimpin’ Crimping Iron
- Gold ‘N Hot Ceramic Crimping Iron
- Bed Head Little Tease Hair Crimper
- Voloom Petite 1 Inch Volumizing Hair Iron
- DSHOW 4 in 1 Hair Crimper Hair Waver
- Hot Tools Micro Crimper – 1 Inch
- MHU Professional Flat Iron 3 in 1 Hair Crimper Hair Waver
- Revlon Pro Collection Deep Waver Iron
- BaByliss Pro Ceramic Tourmaline Crimping Iron
Crimped your hair like no other
Crimped hair is back by popular demand, taking the world by storm with its topnotch ideas that women surely love. While you think of a hairstyle that you can wear on a special occasion, take the crimped hair ideas into consideration. Updating your look this summer won’t be a pain, especially with the crimped hair that’s making a huge come back this year.
Its voluminous effect on hair will take us back to the 80s where big hair was a thing. This year, the hairstyle has a fresh take that adds the classic vibes it had decades ago. Since hair colors are really popular this year, it gives a lot of styling that the crimps can do.
Bright hues, multicolors, subtle tones, neon-bright hues, blended tones and more are famous and very trendy these days. So, does the crimped hair that works perfectly with any of these hues that we all love to see.
Versatility and style
Luckily, with the help of the internet, you can now easily find stunning hairstyles that are popular these days. Of course, this includes the crimped hair that serves some gorgeous ideas that we can easily mimic even with short hair.
Crimped hair is absolutely a head-turner, especially when it’s on a colored hair with a stunning haircut. There are no rules here – just pure fashion that will take us into a multi-dimensional styling that blends the classic and contemporary hairstyle.
This is why we painstakingly gathered the best crimped hair ideas that you can try this year. Bringing back the old school hairstyle and combining it with a sassy modern taste that women certainly fancy.
But we all know that every hairstyle no matter how big or small needs proper upkeeping to maintain it. There are great products and tools that you can check at the stores that will give you a chicer and edgier crimped hair.
These products are professionally recommended. Thus, you can actually trust that these are easy and safe to use on your crimped hair.
Best products for crimped hair
- GHD Contour Hair Crimper to enhance the texture, shape, and volume.
- L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Deep Nourish Conditioner
- Living Proof Restore Perfecting Spray to protect your hair from the heat process that it needs to undergo.
- BaByliss Thermo-Ceramic Rollers to create more volume with soft movements of your ends.
- Charles Worthington Volume & Bounce Texturizing Spray for enormous texture and better hold of your crimped hair.
- BaByliss Curling Wand Pro Hair Styler for extra-defined curls with five heat settings.
- Boucleme Curls Redefined Curl Cream to boost your hair’s moisture level, containing coconut oil, castor oil, and shea butter.
- L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Deep Nourish Shampoo
- GHD Curve Creative Curl for more professional-looking curls.
- Dyson Supersonic with magnetic attachments for fuller and more voluminous curls.
- Orofluido Super Shine Light Spray for a shinier and anti-frizz crimped hair.
- L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Blow Out Heat Spray
Crimped hair, don’t care
Looking around these days will take you to a bolder fashion statement matched with fierce hairstyles that have been a trend this year. There are so many old school trends that have been paving the way to the spotlight again. Obviously, no one is complaining – we obviously love it.
Interestingly, these crimped hair ideas are so nostalgic that it feels like we are back in the year when big hair was such a trend. Crimped hair looks like it’s purposely frizzed and with its zig-zag style, it defines how daring and artistic we are when it comes to hairstyles.
From cute ponytails, pigtails, braids, updos, and even the short hairstyles, you can trust that crimped hair brings a fiercer look. This hairstyle though doesn’t last for days or weeks although you can always apply a permanent chemical treatment to make it stay.
For the color-treated hair, crimps are great too, but you will need to mind the iron’s temperature so it doesn’t cause breakage. Colored hair can’t be exposed to extreme heat as it’s already vulnerable after the coloring process, especially when your hair dealt with bleaching.
For those who have short hair, there are so many lovely hairstyles that you can try with crimped hair that don’t go out of style. You can always experiment and mix things up.
There might be more hair care products for your crimps that we missed to mention on this page, but everything here is safe to use. Others may be a little pricey, but you can trust that it’s worth it.
Crimped hair is one for the books!
Keeping your crimped hair on the go is something that you can always do. With all the tips and tricks that we have for you on this page, there’s no doubt you’ll achieve the look that you want.
It might be a lot to say, but the crimped hair ideas that we have piled up for you are inarguably sassy, edgy, sexy, and fiery. So, if you are one of those women who are always on the lookout for gorgeous hairstyles, keep the crimped hairstyles on your list.
Which one is your favorite among these crimped hair ideas? Tell us in the comment box below!