The asymmetrical bob is the focus of this article, presenting it in every form. You’ll be surprised to find out when it has first appeared, which variations are available and browse through more than 100 pictures with types of bob haircuts. Your imagination is the limit when it comes to bob hairstyles, but in case you need some inspiration, you will find plenty of it by reading further!
Understanding the minor differences between an A-line bob, a blunt bob or a wavy bob will prove to be helpful when you’ll decide which one to get exactly. You’ll see that each alteration can have its advantages and by the time your are done reading this piece, you’ll know exactly what suits you.
The History of the Bob Haircut
Coleen Moore was the first great American actress to appear on the big screen sporting a bob haircut. She was featured in a mute film, in 1920, fact which has generated a lot of fans of the new haircut. Women were no longer looking to make appointments at regular salons. They preferred men’s hairdressers because they didn’t want to style their very long hair, but cut it.
Introduced in the fashion world by Irene Castle in 1915, the bob haircut was then made popular by celebrity youngster Louise Brooks, who was a young and independent woman. She was proud of her original style that looked nothing like the common Edwardian image popular at that time.
Vidal Sassoon, a Bauhaus visionary stylist, reinvents this haircut in 1960. He adds the geometric structure, the simple and clear line, and the womanly naturalness that can also be recognized these days.
Year 2000 marks the comeback of the bob and asymmetrical bob haircuts. More and more celebrities were opting for such hairdos. You might remember Victoria Beckham’s round bob, Rihanna’s asymmetrical bob and Katie Holmes’s classic bob with bangs. Each has created real hysteria among fans, which have overwhelmed the hairdressers at that time.
Types of Bob Haircuts and Styles
The Asymmetrical Bob
Suited for any type of physiognomy, the asymmetrical bob is extremely feminine and nonconformist too. Stylists say it was the most wanted haircut during the 2000s. What makes his haircut special is the fact that it is shorter in the back and longer in the front. The cut is straight in the back and continues unevenly towards the chin. There can also be a difference in length between the right side and the left side. For example, for the right side, the length of the hair could reach the shoulder, and for the opposite side just the chin. The secret lies in the way the hair is parted. The latter is called a tilt bob.
The Bob With Wave in it
The bob is not a haircut that requires one to have straight hair or colored with just one shade. Its versatility has generated multiple types of bobs that are suited for different face shapes, hair textures and so on. If you have a naturally wavy hair, you could go for a medium-long bob that reaches just under your chin. The point is to not stay away from curling your hair because those locks confer an interesting sensuality to a simple haircut.
The Textured Bob
The textured bob consists of a simple, medium-long bob with bangs swept on the side. This type of haircut is best left to dry naturally and styled with mousse or hair wax. All the different layers become easier to notice in this way. Some gals prefer to highlight their hair tips with mascara or colored hairspray for a more eye-catching look. Either angled or cut bluntly, the texture is obtained through various curling methods, soft waves and layers.
The Carre Bob Hairstyle
Hair volume plays an important role in this particular haircut. The bangs are well-textured and arranged in layers that may or may not cover a part of the face. The focus is on the way the hair is swept and how the bangs are styled. The nape of the neck is usually visible.
In fact, the Carre bob is a combination of elements from all types of bobs. You can just combine two or three types of bobs and make your own personalized bob with particular features that appeal to you.
The Bob With Asymmetrical Bangs
This is another hit that has motivated millions of women to change their look. In this case, the asymmetry is quite extreme, featuring really short hair in the back that descends asymmetrically towards the front. The bangs are very well textured and need to be styled with hair wax in order to highlight the asymmetric line.
The Retro Bob
If you are looking for a hairdo with a scent of the ’70s, then you should opt for a retro bob. This one features bangs that are shorter than the rest of the hair length and sometimes wavy. The bangs start from the head’s crown, covering just a small part of the forehead.
The Jazzy Bob
Another variation of the bob haircut, the jazzy bob is suited for women with round-shaped or square-shaped faces for as long as the hair exceeds the chin line. If your face is diamond-shaped, then the hair length should be kept shorter.
The Jazzy bob is all about the bangs, basically, which are short and slightly curved towards the forehead.
The Classical Bob
Just as the asymmetrical bob, the classical bob doesn’t require intensive maintenance, it is easy to style and it is suited to every physiognomy. Although it is recommended to chicks with sleek hair, it can be easily adapted for curly hair ass well. For those of you with thin hair, the classical bob can trick the eye, making it believe there is more volume where there’s not.
The Advantages of the Asymmetrical Bob
The universality of the asymmetrical bob is unmatched. It can be done in many ways, fact which makes it ideal for ladies with any type of physical appearance or any type of hair. For example, this cut accentuates the soft, shiny look of straight hair, and, at the same time, it perfectly reflects the beauty of wavy and curly hair. Furthermore, if chosen correctly, the asymmetrical bob can embellish women with round faces, as well as women with oval or narrow faces.
Leanness and Naturalness
The natural lines specific to this haircut make it more versatile than you think. You can easily sport such haircut at work or at a rock concert. It is not characterized by any element that could create irritation or perplexity. Of course, the way you style your asymmetrical bob is of great importance.
Simplicity and practicality
If you are a fashionista with too little time to style your hair, then the asymmetrical bob is for you. Styling it doesn’t take a long time and the result is almost always fabulous! In addition, it is not hard to maintain, so your visits to the hairdresser will not have a high frequency.
1. Short Asymmetrical Bob With Gray Hair
2. Victoria Beckham’s Bob Hairstyle
3. Undercut Short Bob With Blonde Hair
The first pictures show you how the hair is parted in order to obtain that clean, undercut look.
4. Wavy, Medium-Long Bob With Natural Hair
5. A-Line Bob With Ginger Shades
The A-Line bob is not exactly an asymmetrical bob, but it can sometimes have the same effect on one’s appearance, depending on the face shape.
6. Choppy Short Hairstyle With Gray Hair
Keeping it all natural doesn’t lower your level of attractiveness. On the contrary, it contributes to a more sincere image.
7. Side-Cut Short Bob With Blonde Hair
8. Tilt Bob With a Cute Undercut
9. Layered Bob With Shaved Nape
10. Textured Short Bob With Volume
11. Soft Red Bob With Long Bangs
12. Dark Red Asymmetrical Haircut
13. Celebrity’s Messy Bob Look
14. Kelly Osbourne Sporting a Purple Bob
Kelly Osbourne has a square-shaped face. Thus, she can rock her bob with straight or curly hair as well. The point is for the longer hair to point downwards, distracting attention from her jawline.
15. Long A-Line Bob in Dark Colors
16. Nicely Highlighted Textured Bob
17. All Natural Longer Hairstyle
18. Extra Volume for Thin Hair
19. Asymmetry in Dark Red Shades
20. Short Bangs for an Alternative Style
The difference in length in this hairstyle might seem scary for some of you. It is actually not the most common choice in bob dos, but it’s not too extreme either.
21. Shiny, Messy Side-Sweeping
22. Wavy Hair is Low Maintenance
Letting your hair to dry naturally and adding a bit of mousse at end is all you need to do in order to obtain this look.
23. Asymmetrical Bangs and Curls
You don’t always have to choose between straight and curly. You can go for both.
24. Slightly Wavy Blonde Bob
25. Edgy A-Line Haircut With Highlights
26. Rebel Bob for Blondes and Brunettes
Sporting a casual to elegant look, this gal shows a bit of her rebel side with the way she styles her bob.
27. Sleek, Shiny Rose-Gold Bob
28. Versatility When and Where You Need it
Regardless of your appearance, social status, age, activity or clothing style, you will not fail with an asymmetrical cut.
29. The Effect of a Longer Face
30. Ginger Hair Goes Just as Well
31. Blonde With Purple Highlights
As you can see, you can play with color and undertones in order to obtain various visual effects for your bob.
32. Simple, Textured Bob Cut
33. A Wavy Way of Styling
34. Uneven Cut for Thin Hair
35. A Gradual Short to Longer Line
Now this is definitely an asymmetrical bob type that you will not see everywhere. The line goes gradually from short in the left side, to long in the right side.
36. Round Faces are Flattered by the Uneven Bob
37. The Elongation Effect of Bob
38. Turn Your Bob into Glam
39. Use Color in Your Advantage
40. Classic Line Above the Shoulders
41. From Short to Longer Bangs
42. Difficult Hair Goes Too
43. Long, Wavy and High-Volume
44. A Bob for Every Look
Whether you are a workaholic and you spend most of the day at work, or you are a real party starter, this hairstyle will always be on your side.
45. Rihanna’s Asymmetrical Bob Hairstyle
46. Alternative Look With a Side Cut
Side cuts or under cuts are usually avoided by glamorous or stylish women. They are more suited for alternative styles and young girls with a more rebellious side.
47. Side-Sweeping Right for Round Faces
48. Feminine and Boyish at the Same Time
Don’t you just love the way she looks boyish from a side and feminine from the other? There’s definitely the element of surprise involved.
49. Really Layered and Messy Do
This type of bob cut helps a lot with volume and doesn’t sacrifice length for it.
50. Romantic and Feminine Uneven Bob
51. Celebrities That Set Good Hair Examples
This is not the only celebrity who gave the asymmetrical bob a try. We can also count Anna Wintour, Faye Dunaway, Katie Holmes, Uma Thurman, Victoria Beckham, Charlize Theron, Christina Ricci, Billie Davis, Juliette Greco, Cyndi Lauper, Sienna Miller and many others.
52. Blonde Bob for a Less Edgier Look
53. Brunette Bob for an Edgy Look
Her hair is perfectly straight and shiny. Although it looks amazing, consider this do is high maintenance.
54. A Note of Lightness and Innocence
55. Bob Makes Blondes Look Fresh
56. Crazy Colors for Classical Cuts
57. A Nice and Simple Asymmetry
58. Bob Hairstyles Could be a Phase
59. The Good Girl Look
60. The Sexy, Feminine Look
61. Bangs That Cover Faces
62. Highly Contrasting Asymmetry in Bobs
63. A Pink and Messy Bob
64. No Need for Daring Choices
Opting for an asymmetrical bob doesn’t require you to be a daring person or to change your look drastically.
65. Curly Hair Looks Just as Well
66. Long or Short With Curls or Not
67. A-Line Really Long Bob
Among the less easier types of bob cuts, this one requires you to have really long hair to begin with.
68. Add Some Gray, No Volume Spray
69. Really Long A-Line Bob
70. Tattooed Girls Like Bobs Too
If you compare this picture with the others, you will truly understand the versatility of this haircut.
71. Victoria Beckham’s Short Blonde Bob
72. Retro Look With a Ginger Bob
73. Geometrical Bob Dyed Black
The geometrical bob confers a new type of charm to your features because it’s nothing like the classical bob.
74. Effortless Styling for Bobs
75. Volume in All the Right Places
76. Any Color Goes for Bob
77. Classical Beauty Highlighted by Simple Lines
78. Romantic Look With Soft Blonde Shades
79. A Mix of White and Pink
80. A Mix of Black and Blue
81. A Mix of Brown and Blue
82. Stylish With a Short Haircut
83. A Natural Color Choice
84. Bob in the Colors of Rainbow
85. Asymmetrical Bangs Framing the Face
86. The Most Popular Bob Cut
87. Bob Slightly Above the Shoulders
88. Side-Sweeping for a Dramatic Effect
89. Little to No Asymmetry
90. Partially Curled Bob Hairstyle
91. Bob Style According to Face Shape
92. Short and Long Stands of Hair
93. Gray and Wavy Bob
94. One Side is Longer Than the Other
95. An Oval Face Fits Like no Other
96. Pink Hair and a Side-Cut Bob
97. Undoubtedly Classy With a Long Bob
98. Sweeping Hair in the Other Way
99. Asymmetrical Bob With Colored Tips
100. A Brighter Smile With a Properly Framed Face
101. A-List Celebrity Sporting an Uneven Bob
102. Highlight Your Jaw Line With a Bob Style
103. Naturally Wavy Looks Good Too
104. Hide a Wide Forehead With Bangs
105. A Bob Hairstyle Softens Edgy Features
106. Elongated Face Framed by a Long Bob
Women with oval faces look great regardless of haircut. This doesn’t mean they can’t sport hairdos that make that aspect stand out.
107. Side-Swept Nose-Long Bangs
108. Rocker Chick With a Wavy Bob
This girl has a daring style that is suited for a rock concert or a night at the club. No one can pass unnoticed if she looks like this!
It’s Time for Conclusions
As you have seen so far, the array of asymmetrical bob hairstyles is really wide. The classical bob is easy to style and it goes for every hair type and physical appearance. Even so, many chicks with curly hair are inclined to opt for asymmetrical cuts that go below the chin and don’t confer as much volume as others.
What’s fabulous about asymmetrical cuts is that there are none exactly alike. In this regard, you would have to be very specific when you tell your stylist what type of bob you desire. Often, it is not enough just to mention the name of the hairstyle. So, it would be best for you to have plenty of pictures prepared in your phone even prior to making an appointment.
Asymmetrical Bob Cut and Crazy Colors
Since this hairstyle was nonconformist to begin with, there’s no point in not keeping it that way. So, if you feel like getting pink, blue or even green hair, you don’t have to hesitate. Each hair layer will be candy to the eye.
Leave a comment below with your favorite bob hairstyle and tell us how likely is it for you to get it in the future or show off yours!