Sonia Boyajian has been designing jewelry in Los Angeles since 2001, but it’s more than jewelry that she designs. Going beyond typical rhinestone costume jewels, Sonia creates whimsical art that is wearable and begs the question “Where did you find that?” Oversize baubles, metals, chains, and even feathers are combined to create colorful, fairytale-esque pieces that are part ethnic and part vintage-inspired in style. She has collaborated with Brian Reyes on jewelry for four of his runway shows, designed best friend Scarlett Johansson’s 3-carat diamond engagement ring, and is collaborating with Anthropologie on a line of jewels. We spent a minute with Sonia to get the scoop on her personal style.
1) How would you describe your personal style?
Like a little hippie trapped in her grandmother's closet
2) Who or what are your style inspirations?
Nature, people on the street, culture and art
3) When did you know you wanted to be a jewelry designer?
I never did it just happened
4) Who would you like to see wearing Sonia Boyajian?
Someone with a strong sense of self
5) What item could you never part with?
My dog Rocky
6) What do you love about living in Los Angeles?
The sunshine, Griffith Park and the neighborhoods
7) What is your favorite city to shop in?
What are you currently listening to?
Alexander Perl's 009 sound system
9) Describe your dream vacation.
Anywhere with giant trees, mountains and sunshine
Visit www.soniabstyle.com for more information